3-D Pumpkin Art

Our most recent visual arts project was intended to help students create depth in a piece of art, and replicate the gradations of colour that appear when objects are lit from above.

Step One:  Mrs. Black brought three pumpkins to class, arranged them so one was in front of the other two, photographed this grouping, converted the photograph from colour to grayscale, and projected the image on the SmartBoard.

Step Two:  We discussed how the positioning of the pumpkins created a sense of depth in the photo. The smallest pumpkin appeared to be in front of the others because it was lower in the photograph, and covered portions of the other two. We also observed the way light from above created gradations of gray on the pumpkins' surfaces. This was much easier to see in a grayscale rendering than in the original coloured photograph of the pumpkins, or by looking at the pumpkins themselves.

Step Three:  Students tried their hands at creating three-dimensional renderings of the pumpkins, in pencil. They used shading to replicated the lighting effects they observed in the photograph... lightest gray on top, medium gray in the middle, dark gray on the bottom portion of the pumpkins and in the shadows they cast on the table.

IMG_1110 IMG_1111

Step Four:  Using pencil, students transferred an outline of the pumpkins to black paper, and then traced over it with white glue. This created surfaces onto which soft chalk pastels would not adhere during the final step of the art project.

IMG_1104 IMG_1105IMG_1108

Step Five:  After the glue had been left to dry overnight, students watched a video demonstrating how to blend soft chalk pastels:

Afterwards, students began to colour the pumpkins they had outlined in glue. For reference, a coloured version of Mrs. Black's pumpkin photograph was projected on the screen.

The results were simply stunning!

IMG_1120 IMG_1124 IMG_1125

IMG_1126 IMG_1127 IMG_1128 IMG_1131IMG_1135

These pieces of art will be heading to the next Ramona Fall Fair!

Thank you for visiting our class BLOG.  If you have any questions or comments, feel free e-mail me (Margaret Black):  mblack@scdsb.on.ca or to add a comment to this page.

2 thoughts on “3-D Pumpkin Art

1. Mrs Ower

Well done, Mrs Black's class. Your 3-D pumpkin art is fantastic! I can see that you paid close attention to how the shades of colour change on a 3-D object. Would you mind if I borrow this idea to use with my class next Halloween? Thank you for the inspiration, Mrs Black!
    Mrs Ower
    Year 3 Teacher, Marbella, Spain
    http://gillower.primaryblogger.co.uk/

Reply
    1. Margaret Black

Thank you, Mrs. Ower. Feel free to use the idea. I adapted it from something I found on the internet, myself!

Margaret Black

Reply